We’ve already had our fair share of snow this winter, but our cold weather season is far from over. Don’t become a victim of frozen pipes, which can burst and become an expensive and messy problem.
Here are some tips to help you avoid a cold weather disaster:
- Drain and turn off all outside water faucets and valves.
- Wrap water pipes in insulation or layers of newspaper, tied on with plastic bags.
- Find your main water cut-off valve, mark it, and know how to cut off the water should your pipes freeze.
- Open up your cabinets during very cold weather to allow warm air from the house to flow around pipes.
- If you have pipes that run through unheated areas of your home, let your faucets drip slightly until temperatures are above freezing again.